You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

AMESBURY 50 (GODDARD)

DESCRIPTION + /

A Neolithic / Bronze Age round barrow, known as Amesbury 50, survives as slight earthworks and forms part of the Cursus Barrow Group (Monument Number 219681). The barrow comprises a central oval mound flanked by two asymmetric side ditches which have opposing entrances to the south-west and north-east, orientated along the 105m contour on which the barrow sits. The barrow mound stands circa 0.5m high and measures between 19m and 21 in diameter. The flanking ditches measure circa 0.1m deep and a maximum of 12m wide. Small causeways inside the ditches indicate that the ditches were dug in segments. Geophysical survey in July 2010 shows the two side ditches were dug as a series of large pits within which was one, possibly two oval rings of smaller pits. The combined surveys suggest the site was a perhaps a hengiform monument containing an oval structure, perhaps of timber, with a later round mound inserted. The barrow was excavated in the early 19th century by Colt Hoare without result (Barrow 35), although it is possible that a small plain food vessel was recovered from the barrow by Cunnington senior. It was listed as Amesbury 50 by Goddard and by Grinsell (as a bowl barrow) and was considered in good condition by Maud Cunnington in 1913 but was damaged by ploughing in the mid-20th century, when it is also visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs. The round barrow was surveyed at 1:1000 scale by English Heritage in April 2009 as part of the Stonehenge WHS Landscape Project.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.