You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

AIGBURTH CRICKET GROUND

DESCRIPTION + /

Aigburth Cricket Ground has been home to the Liverpool Cricket Club since 1881. The Club spent £2,000 to purchase the site and a further £21,000 on the ground layout and pavilion, which was built by the contractor Cubitts. The main pavilion was designed by Thomas Harnett Harrison and is the oldest of any first class venue. It is largely unaltered and is built of brick with green painted timber beams and a tile roof. The ground was laid out on 20 acres and is divided by a commuter railway line. Lancashire County Cricket Club first played at the venue in 1881 and currently (2007) plays one or two matches at the ground each season. It can now accommodate 5,000 spectators although it held 7,633 for a visit by the West Indies in 1984. To the south west, the ground provides rugby pitches two of which were used by Liverpool Rugby Club from 1889 to 1963. Some of these pitches were sold for housing in the 1990's. To the north east, lies the main cricket ground which is second in size only to the Oval, London. A ladies pavilion was added in around 1900 but this was in use as a children's nursery in 2007. Next to the pitch are two bowling greens, three grass hockey pitches, five squash courts and nine tennis courts. On alternate years between 1882 and 1928, the ground was the venue for the Northern Tournament. In 1883, it hosted the city's first international football match when England played Ireland. The ground has also been a regular venue for quoits. Among the surviving original features is a turnstile at the entrance off Aigburth Road.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.