You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

EDLINGHAM CASTLE

DESCRIPTION + /

The ruins of a late 13th to 14th century fortified manor house with an outer defensive earthwork. Standing remains include the hall, solar tower, curtain wall and gatehouse. The earliest standing remains are those of the hall. Built between circa 1295 and 1300, this structure stood on the south side of a cobbled courtyard and was a rectangular building with octagonal corner turrets. Only a fragment of the south-east turret survives to any height, but the building would originally have been storeyed, the ground floor consisting of an undercroft used for storage, and the first floor including the private apartments of the lords of the manor of Edlingham. In the mid 14th century a curtain wall and projecting gatehouse were built to enclose the hall and courtyard, thereby strengthening the rampart which originally surrounded the manor and survives as an earthwork measuring circa 12 metres wide by circa 1 metre high. Only the base of the curtain wall and gatehouse remain standing. The tower was built in the mid to late 14th century. It was built adjacent to the earlier hall to provide private accommodation for the owner and his family. Because of its role in providing such private living space it is known as a 'solar' tower. The three-storeyed tower's north and west walls survive almost to their full height. The original hall and fortifications were built by William Felton after he purchased the manor from Thomas de Edlingham in 1295; The Feltons were royal officials and soldiers. The site is in the care of English Heritage.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.