You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

MONUMENT NO. 51998

DESCRIPTION + /

The earthwork and buried remains of a Cistercian grange of Fountains Abbey and medieval settlement situated at High Cayton, 8 km north of Harrogate. The earliest reference to the village has been found in the Domesday Book dating to 1087. The land was donated to the Cistercian Abbey of Fountains in 1135 and soon after a grange was established on the site. The visible remains of the early village survive as earthworks in the south eastern part of the monument. Further remains have been masked by the later grange. To the north west there is a prominent earthwork enclosure with interior sub-divisions and building platforms. This may represent the remains of an early manor house associated with the early settlement. It is thought that this complex continued in use as the core of the monastic grange and was abandoned at the end of the 16th century. Cayton Grange was a mixed farming grange with a speciality in fish farming. A fishpond which was associated with the grange and covered 15 acres is situated in the western part of this monument. It was created through the construction of a substantial dam built east to west across Cayton beck. The dam survives as an earthwork measuring 75 metres in length and 12 metres wide and to a height of 2 metres. There is a breach 4 metres wide to allow the beck to continue to flow. Associated with the pond are the remains of building structures which represent smoke houses, boat houses and storage and transportation facilities. Areas of ridge and furrow indicate agricultural activity associated with the village and later with the grange. Towards the end of the 15th century pottery was also being produced at the grange. Scheduled.


DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.