You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

MARKENFIELD HALL

DESCRIPTION + /

The remains of a medieval fortified house and the surviving remains of the park pale which enclosed the immediate estate of Markenfield. The present hall was built for John de Markenfield in 1300 and a licence to crenellate was granted in 1310. The core of the complex includes a water-filled, stone-revetted moat 8 metres wide with external dimensions of 80 metres north to south by 70 metres east to west. The central platform is occupied by four ranges of buildings which extend around all four sides of the platform. The north range includes the main hall. Altered in the late 16th century, the open hall occupies the first floor of the north wing and the chapel is located in the east wing. In the early 15th century the great kitchen was built at the west end of the north wing of the hall. The eastern range includes the service buildings whilst the southern range is dominated by a 16th century gatehouse with flanking walls. The western range includes two storey structures built as stores and service buildings and were converted in the 17th century for use as farm buildings. In the field to the east of the moat are the earthworks of the formal gardens to the hall. Further earthwork remains include those of the service buildings of the medieval complex which lay within an outer court to the south. A park pale originally extended for 2.8 kilometres around Markenfield Hall and a continuous length of 2.4 kilometres still survives as a stone wall. Although medieval in origin it has been rebuilt and maintained over the years and it is unclear how much of the present above ground fabric is medieval. Some of these features are visible on air photos and lidar derived images.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.