You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ACTON TOWN STATION

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  MIL HILL PARK STATION
DESCRIPTION + /

Acton Town station opened as Mill Hill Park on the 1st July 1879 to serve the District Line extension from Turnham Green to Ealing Broadway. The initial brick built station was designed by a Mr Clemmence under the supervision of John Wolfe-Barry. The station was rebuilt in February 1910 and renamed Acton Town on the 1st March 1910. Following Parliament's approval in 1930 to allow for the extension of the Piccadilly Line, many of the western surburban stations that were to be served by the Piccadilly were wholly or partly rebuilt. One of these such stations was Acton Town which was rebuilt to the designs of Charles Holden in 1932. It is of reinforced concrete post and lintel construction with red brick infill, some load-bearing. The station is symmetrical, almost square, in plan with a double-height ticket hall flanked by kiosks on a bridge, from which a parade of shops descends to Bollo Lane. From the ticket hall enclosed stairs descend to platforms under integral concrete canopies on paired piers in alternating broad and narrow bay formation. The narrow bays a part infilled by kiosks, integral poster boards, roudel signs and fixed seating. The platforms are linked by a secondary bridge at the southern end. The ticket hall has a projecting roundel sign over a canopy, and three double-height paired windows to the street frontage with similar windows at the upper rear level. Acton Town was first served by Piccadilly Line trains on the 4th July 1932.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.