You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



In 1848 the London and South Western Railway replaced its original Nine Elms terminus with a new station near Waterloo Bridge. It was undistinguished, built on arches with four platforms beneath a wooden roof. During the rest of the century it was extended piecemeal, resulting in a station that was a byword for confusion. By 1885 its 16 platforms were divided between 'Central', 'South', 'Windsor' and 'North' Stations, while two sets of platforms were both numbered 1 and 2, and there were four areas that passed as concourses. Furthermore, a line crossed the central concourse on the level, passing out through the front wall on to a bridge over Waterloo Road to a junction with the South Eastern Railways Charing Cross line at a station called Waterloo Junction (now Waterloo East). In 1898 the LSWR opened its Waterloo and City tube line from a separate station in the basement to the Bank. A fourth Waterloo station (TQ 38 SW 1835) was built adjacent by the London Necropolis Company for its funeral trains to Brockwood Cemetery. Except for the relatively new 'North Station', Waterloo was entirely rebuilt in 1900-21 with 21 platforms, a vast ridge-and-furrow roof, and a spacious concourse, transforming one of Britain's worst termini into the largest and finest. The curved frontage by JR Scott housed the company's offices and incorporated the Victory Arch, an impressive entrance in Portland stone forming the company's war memorial. Waterloo remained largely unchanged until the four platforms of the 'North Station' were demolished to make way for the International Terminus for Channel Tunnel trains completed in 1993. Designed by Nicholas Grimshaw and Partners, the curving platforms and novel, yet traditionally arched stainless steel and glass roof created a perspective that has received wide praise.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.