You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE

DESCRIPTION + /

Remains of a 19th to early 20th century copper, tin, arsenic and wolfram mine. The earliest remains comprise early post medieval workings, but intensive mining activity began circa 1820. These remains include an adit and associated dressing floors, spoil dumps and water wheels. Operations ceased in 1827 and the mine was re-opened in 1858. Remains from this period include a number of engine houses, boiler houses, dressing floors, chimneys, ore crushing houses and smithies. The main dressing floor was linked to the lower slope dressing floor and arsenic works by a tramway, part of which survives. The arsenic works were linked by a flue to a further chimney. Some of this area has been destroyed by later mining activity. In 1900, a new company amalgamated this mine with three others nearby and built a large ore reprocessing mill on the lower slope. A new dressing floor was constructed near the mill, with an ore drying plant to the east and the arsenic works to the south west. Inclined tramways carried materials to and from the mill. The reprocessing works ceased operation in 1909. The mine was reopened following the outbreak of war in 1914 though little work was carried out underground. Most of the ore processed came from existing spoil dumps or from reopened mines to the south west, brought to the site by aerial ropeway. The mine finally closed in the late 1920s. It is now contained within the World Heritage Site of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.