You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

CLAYTON HALL

DESCRIPTION + /

Clayton Hall was an Elizabethan structure formerly the seat of the de Claytons, but in 1924 it was recorded as being "occupied as a farm dwelling". The Victorian History of Lancashire Vol.6, in 1911, described the hall as follows: "Clayton Hall, now a farm-house, is a picturesque 17th-century two-storey brick building on a high stone base with low mullioned windows and stone slated roof. The front, which faces east, is 50 ft. in length with a wide gable at the north end projecting 5 ft. 9 in. and a gabled porch going up the height of both stories in the middle of the main wing projecting 8 ft. 9 in. The south end of the house appears to have been rebuilt, the windows being modern with wood frames and brick heads, and there being no stone quoins as in the rest of the house. The hall window is of six lights with hood mould over, and the other windows are of four and two lights, the lower one at the north end being placed out of the centre. The old windows have all round chamfered mullions and hood moulds. The bricks are 2 1/4 inches thick and have weathered a warm dark red, and the greater part of the front being covered with ivy the colour effect is very good. The windows are glazed with square quarries and the porch has a four-centred arched doorway with hood mould and old oak nail-studded door". Despite being Listed Grade II*, Clayton Hall was demolished in 1976 followind the granting of planning permission for demolition on the ground of its "advance decay and structural instability". The moat and fishponds still survive as earthworks and buried features.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.