You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The site of a Franciscan Friary. This was the second Franciscan house founded in England, first at a house in Cornhill in 1224, and from 1225 on their own site at Newgate. It lay the the north-west of the Church of St Nicholas in the Shambles. With further acquisitions, the site became quiet extensive, and a period of intensive building work occured in the 1280s. The precinct was bounded by the City Wall to the north, Newgate Steet to the South, The Swan Inn to the west. The Eastern boundary is less certain. It was dissolved in 1538. Many notable people were buried there, including Queen Eleanor's heart (1291), and Elizabeth Barton, the Holy Maid of Kent, hanged at Tyburn for opposing Henry VIII's second marriage in 1534. The Great Church lay on the south side of the site on the north side of Newgate Street. There was a major rebuild of the church, 1308-48, at the instigation of Queen Margaret, 2nd wife of Edward I. After this rebuild, only St Paul's cathedral was larger than Greyfriars Church. The nave and quire were aisled on the North and South sides for their full length, and separated by a walking space. The Great Cloister lay to the north of the nave, with the chapterhouse and studies dorter in the east range, Whittington's Library in the north range, and the frater in the west range. The Lesser Cloister with its infirmary and hall lay west of the Great Cloister. The millhouse, bakehouse, brewhouse and gatehouse were in separate buildings along Newgate Street at the west end of the site. From 1547, the church and claustral buildings were granted to the City of London and reused as Christ Hospital, (See TQ38SW482 for later history).

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.