You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

SCARISBRICK HALL

DESCRIPTION + /

Scarisbrick Hall was originally a 16th century building and seat of the Scarisbrick family that underwent remodelling, rebuilding and enlargement in 1814. This work was probably begun by the architects John Slater of Liverpool and Thomas Rickman. However work was mainly carried out by the architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin between 1836-1845 for Thomas Scarisbrick and again in the 1860s and 1870s for Anne Scarisbrick.

The building is made up of sandstone and features stone slate roofs. The building plan features a hall facing south-east, with east and west crosswings, and an east tower with kitchens. The site also comprises an ‘L’-shaped service wing to the rear. The building is Gothic in style with the west wing of 1814 early Gothic, the hall and other parts of the main building of 1836-1845 in fully developed 15th century Gothic revival and the east wing and tower in French or Flemish 15th century style. The ornamentation of the building of these parts becomes more elaborate in the progression from east to west. Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin’s two-storey open-hall featuring two-storey oriel windows and a steeply pitched roof with a three-stage lantern on the ridge is in the centre of the composition. This is dominated by Edward Welby Pugin’s east wing which features an octagonal turret and a tower of great height with an attenuated rectangular spire.

The interior of the building features much elaborate carved oak, some of it of Flemish origin, which was collected by Thomas Scarisbrick.

The building became a school in 1963 and, of 2013, is still operating as such.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.