You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The earthwork and structural remains of Castle Rising Castle, founded in around 1140 by William de Albini II, are located to the south of the village of Castle Rising in Norfolk. Pre-dating the castle, however, are the below ground remains of a Saxon settlement and a ruined church, which may have been the parish church prior to the 12th century. Situated in the central enclosure, to the north of the keep, the church has three bays, two blocked doorways and two round headed windows.

When established in circa 1140, the castle comprised a series of earthworks, the gatehouse and keep. The central earthwork enclosure is ovoid in plan and surrounded by an inner bank and ditch, with its entrance protected by a rectangular enclosure to the east. In the late 12th or early 13th century, these earthworks were raised and the western enclosure was created. The gatehouse at the entrance of the inner enclosure is a rectangular tower with a round headed archway, grooves for a portcullis and recesses in the side walls. The keep, described as one of the most lavishly decorated in England, is rectangular in plan with a tower that was originally of two storeys. The keep, like the rest of the castle and its outer defences, underwent various repairs and modifications during the late 13th and 14th centuries.

In the first half of the 14th century, possibly soon after it was acquired by the crown, a suite of buildings were constructed south of the keep and included private lodgings, a chapel, hall, and separate kitchen. The hall and kitchen were later rebuilt, however they were demolished in the 16th century.

By 1542-3 the keep was ruined but section of it were still in use and in 1544 it was granted by Henry VIII to Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk. The property is now owned and managed by Lord Howard of Rising.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.