You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The medieval castle at Tattershall and associated earthworks were recorded by ground survey and by aerial photography. Constructed in 13th.century by Robert of Tattershall, in 15th century it passed to Ralph, first Lord Cromwell, who rebuilt it as a fortified house and founded a college on the adjacent site. The castle was occupied until 1693; it thereafter fell into disrepair and in 1970 some of the building material was removed and the moats largely infilled. In 1925 it passed into the care of the National Trust. The remains take the form of an inner moated enclosure with two enclosures, also moated. The first building on the site is thought to have been a stone-built hall located near the western edge of the enclosure, followed by a curtain wall with interval towers. The hall survived until the 18th century as a ruin but is no longer evident. Parts of the curtain wall survive in the western part of the enclosure adjacent to the later Great Tower, which was built in the 15th century. The foundations of two interval towers also survive, to the north and south of the Great Tower. The remains of another interval tower have been identified on the south side of the enclosure. Construction of the Great Tower commenced in the 1430s when the castle was converted into a fortified residence. A separate kitchen block was built adjacent and to the south, incorporating one of the interval towers. The foundations of these structures are now exposed. Surrounding the inner moat are the remains of a penannular outer bailey first constructed in the 15th century. The inner and outer moats were originally joined only on the north side, but are now also joined on the east and west sides creating two 'L'-shaped enclosures. The enclosure to the north east includes the remains of the middle ward and a guardhouse. In the northern part of the ward are the foundations of a gatehouse. The remains of the outer ward are situated in what is now the north western enclosure.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.