You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

WARWICK PRIORY

DESCRIPTION + /

The remains of the Priory of St Sepulchre and the post-Dissolution mansion built on the site. The Priory was founded by Henry de Newburgh in about 1109 on the site of an earlier, possibly pre-Norman, church. The main complex of conventual buildings was erected during the 12th century, with the priory church being consecrated between 1125 and 1151. Pilgrims to Jerusalem were especially cared for in houses of this order, so that the priories are often referred to as hospitals. The priory was supressed in 1536. Following the Dissolution the remains were incorporated into a mansion with associated gardens, built by Thomas Hawkins in 1556. The house was largely dismantled in 1925 and moved to Virginia. Excavations in 1971 revealed part of the nave, the south aisle and chancel of the church and parts of the claustral ranges including the chapter house. The foundations were left exposed and take the form of red sandstone foundations of one or two courses defining a two-celled structure and an adjacent wall. A cist containing three inhumation burials was located at the east end of the nave. The excavations also discovered two lime kilns, located beneath and pre-dating the monastic remains. The precinct boundary, in the form of a substantial double earthen bank and ditch, survives to the south and south east of the priory buildings. The remains of a quarry which may have been used in the construction of the priory building lies to the north east of the priory. Excavations in the quarry in 1867 and later excavations in 1876 to the south side of Priory Hill discovered evidence of cremation burials placed in cavities in the rock face, including urns, which were dated as Romano-British. Scheduled.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.