You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

BISHOPS PALACE

DESCRIPTION + /

The extant and ruined remains of the Medieval Bishops' Palace in Lincoln. The palace was constructed from dressed stone and ashlar and is roofless except for the Alnwick Tower and former stables. The East Hall of the Former Bishops' Palace was built circa 1175 while the West Hall, kitchen and service buildings were built in 1186-1224. In 1329, Bishop Burghersh was granted a licence to crenellate and in that same year carried out various repairs. In 1436-1449, the gate tower, west hall bay window and chapel range were built for Bishop Alnwick. Repairs, including the building of a library, were carried out from 1625-28 and they continued throughout the 1630s. The works were never finished however, due to the onset of the Civil War. In 1643, the palace became a temporary prison while the castle was being refortified and five years later the buildings suffered some damage during a battle. In 1652, Col James Berry bought the palace and converted the surviving buildings into a house. The palace was returned to the church in 1660 however the buildings were considered beyond economic repair. The chapel was demolished in 1725 and in 1738 the surviving lodging range was converted into a Georgian residence. A century later, stables and a coach range were also built. Alnwick's Tower was restored in 1876 to provide lecture rooms for the Theological College while in 1886-88 the western lodging range was remodelled and extended. In 1945 the Victorian palace was converted to the diocesan offices and a conference and retreat centre which is now called Edward King House. The ruined parts of the palace were placed in the guardianship of the Ministry of Works in 1954 and are currently (2011) opened to the public by English Heritage.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.