You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

WEST BURTON

DESCRIPTION + /

The earthwork and buried remains of the medieval village of West Burton. A map dating to 1750 illustrates that the village was still in existence at this time and shows a total of 15 houses and a church on the site. An account of the village made just over 40 years later records only seven or eight houses with an estimated population of 45. This decline in the village continued and by the beginning of the 19th century it had practically disappeared. A map dating to 1895 clearly shows that the village, with the exception of the church, was no longer in existence. The north eastern corner of the village is visible as a line of three rectangular tofts. At the eastern end of two of the tofts are the foundations of medieval houses whilst the western sides are bounded by a lane which gave access to the tofts. To the south of the tofts are a further two tofts which front onto the main hollow way running through the village. At the southern end of the monument are a number of oval-shaped depressions which are interpreted as ponds and may relate to a fishery which was recorded in the Domesday Book. To the north of the southernmost hollow way are two platforms. Erosion scars have exposed areas of dressed stone which are interpreted as being the foundations of a medieval homestead. The parish church of St Helen was demolished in 1895 but the churchyard survives. To the north west of the church are the remains of two more tofts. Slight traces of house platforms are visible at the eastern end of the enclosures. In the field to the south west of Low Farm are the remains of ridge and furrow. These earthworks are part of the medieval open field system of which they form part of a single furlong. To the south of this field is a large irregular shaped pond. Scheduled.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.