You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The Carthusian monastery at Beauvale was founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantiloup, Lord of Ilkeston, it was dissolved in 1539. The remains incorporate part of the nave of the monastic church and attached to this is a three storey building identified as the prior's lodgings. To the east of the church is a sandstone wall with a single doorway with late medieval mouldings, that may represent part of the precinct wall. At the southeast corner of the site is a building identified as the gatehouse which is incorporated into later farm buildings. To the west of the church some of the monastic cells have been revealed by excavation. The present farmhouse Beauvale Abbey Farm sits on the line of the eastern cloistral range but appears from cursory inspection to be of post-medieval date. Surrounding the standing buildings are the well preserved earthwork remains of the monastic house. To the south of the monastery are two perched ponds. Enclosing the western and northern sides of the site is a large L-shaped earthwork bank, which is probably a garden feature postdating the monastery. To the west of the church the line of the cloister is represented by the modern orchard hedge. The line of the monastic cells along the north side of the cloister may be clearly traced as earthworks as may a few cells along the west side. The southern side of the cloister has been disturbed by the passage of farm traffic and the cell divisions are less easy to trace. In the field to the east of the church a low bank probably marks the former limit of the precinct enclosure. In the fields surrounding the monastery are the remains of ridge and furrow cultivation. Subsequent to the dissolution the priory was converted into a private residence with gardens and later into a farmhouse. This phase of activity is recorded as a separate record SK 44 NE 18.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.