You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

KILTON CASTLE

DESCRIPTION + /

The remains of a castle of 13th century date which replaced a timber castle constructed between 1135-40. The remains visible today were built about 1190-1200 by the Kilton family. The castle is mentioned in a document of 1265 in which a chantry was granted to an existing chapel at the site. The castle was abandoned as a dwelling soon afterwards, and in 1341 and 1345 it is described as small and worthless. It was totally abandoned during the 16th century. The ruined castle remains are of coursed random sandstone rubble and dressed sandstone. It is long, narrow and roughly-rectangular in plan, projecting eastwards into a deep ravine; a causeway at the west end is flanked by the remains of a moat. The castle remains include the lower two storeys of the north, east and west walls of the tower at the north- east angle of inner bailey. It is rectangular in plan with a segmental north end. Between the north east tower and basement of the north and west walls of the keep are the lower parts of the 13th century bastion. The curtain wall is of rubble construction faced with fine ashlar blocks; in places the latter have been removed and the rubble core is visible. The height of the curtain wall varies from between 1.5 metres to 5.3 metres. On the south side, for much of the east side and the south part of the west side, it is visible as the low foundations of a stone wall. Scheduled and Listed Grade I.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.