You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The remains of Ravensworth Castle of which there are three phases; a medieval quadrangular castle, an 18th century country house, and a 19th century country house. The medieval fortified house, the standing remains of which are Listed Grade II*, was built in the style of a quadrangular castle, which is a typical form of the 14th century. The remains include two corner towers, sections of curtain walling and deposits preserved beneath the present ground surface. The two surviving corner towers are in the north east and south east corners of the quadrangle. Both stand 10 metres high, almost their full original height, although the crenellation of both towers is now absent. They are of roughly coursed sandstone construction quoined with ashlar. Sections of curtain walling survive attached to the towers. These are of roughly coursed rubble construction, 1.5 metres wide, and standing up to 4 metres high. The two surviving sections of the east curtain extend 7 metres out from each of the surviving corner towers. The section attached to the north tower decreases in height by a series of steps. The section attached to the south tower also decreases in height with distance from the tower. The surviving section of the south curtain wall extends west from the south tower for 7 metres and is of two parts. The first 3 metres from the tower is of roughly coursed rubble construction and has a splayed window at ground level. The south curtain wall has been extended with well coursed ashlar. An 18th century house was erected within the medieval quadrangle in 1724 and altered and improved under the advice of James Paine by 1759. It was demolished prior to the erection of the second housin 1808. No identifiable remains of it are visible, although the remains will be preserved beneath the present ground surface. The second house was built between 1808 and 1846. The main house lay immediately west of the medieval castle and the majority of it was demolished in 1953.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.