You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ARNOS VALE CEMETERY

DESCRIPTION + /

Arnos Vale Cemetery was laid out between 1837 and 1840 by the Bristol General Cemetery Company. It extends over 45 acres at the former Arnos Court estate and is the final resting place of many prominent citizens of Bristol. Bristol-based architect Charles Underwood was commissioned to design the layout of the site and its buildings, which include a Nonconformist chapel, an Anglican chapel and two gatehouses in Neoclassical style. The construction of walks, paths and terraces and the planting of some 2,000 ornamental trees and shrubs were overseen by local nurserymen James Garraway and Martin Hayes. Between 1855 and 1880 the cemetery was extended to encompass the whole estate originally purchased in 1837. Additional land to the south was bought in 1880 and further extensions took place in 1891. The western portion of this ground was laid out by 1904, while the remainder was appropriated for burials by circa 1944. In 1927-29 a crematorium, cloister and columbarium were built by architect H G Laing of Lincoln's Inn, London (see HOB UID 1090210). The buildings were constructed around the Nonconformist chapel along with a garden of remembrance. The crematorium remained in use until 1998. Arnos Vale Cemetery contains a significant collection of 19th and early 20th funerary monuments, over 20 of which are listed. A First World War loggia memorial was erected in 1921 and the remains of more than 600 military personnel are interred at the cemetery. By the late 1980s the cemetery was in poor condition due to low burial space and declining revenue. In 2003 the site was purchased by Bristol City Council and it is now maintained by the Arnos Vale Cemetery Trust. Arnos Vale Cemetery reopened in May 2010 after a £5 million restoration project.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.