You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

HANGING CHAPEL

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  GUILD CHAPEL OF ST MARY
DESCRIPTION + /

A medieval chapel situated over an arched medieval gateway The gateway spans the road on the crest of The Hill, a steep incline leading from Langport towards Huish Episcopi 1km to the east. The chapel, known as the Hanging Chapel, dates from the 14th century and is built of sqaured cut local lias stone with a clay tiled pitched roof between coped gables with ball finials. It is surrounded on its north, east and west sides by a walkway which has a stone coped parapet and is reached by an external flight of steps located in the corner of the south west facing wall of the gateway. A 19th century stone extension with a flat roof has been attached to the south side of the chapel at a lower level. The chapel sits above a barrel-roofed archway which is constructed from local lias stone with plain end walls which have chamfered arches at each end through which traffic still passes. The arched gateway was built on the site of what may have been an original break in the defensive bank of Saxon date which has been demonstrated by excavation to have existied on this side of the town. The chapel is first mentioned in 1344, as the Guild Chapel of St Mary to whom it is still dedicated. It has had a variety of uses, becoming the Town Hall in 1570, a grammar school in the 18th century, then an arms store, a Sunday school and various private uses until it became a Masonic Lodge from 1891. Scheduled and Listed Grade I.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.