You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

SHAW BRIDGE OLD MILL

DESCRIPTION + /

This water-powered mill was erected on the south-east bank of Mearley Brook in the late eighteenth century, occupying land made available by the enclosure of common land in 1788. In 1797, it was occupied by Messrs Bury & Co, although the Burys had left Clitheroe by 1805. The mill was three-storeys high and four bays long, and was of random stone block construction. The wheelhouse was on Taylor Street side, with the goit running to the weir to the north-east. The cottage was on the opposite end but all the buildings were demolished in 1990 and the goit infilled. Initially it was most likely a carding and jenny mill but was then briefly used as a calico printers by Burys. John Taylor of Upbrooks then converted the mill for spinning circa 1807. John Taylor is listed as a spinner and manufacturer at Shaw Bridge in a trade directory for 1818. After Taylor’s death in 1827, the buildings were divided into a calico manufacturers warehouse (Benjamin Bulcock) and a brewery (John & James Haworth). By the late 1830s Bulcock no longer used the site and Brewery Mill was erected. By 1845/6 brewing no longer took place here and a later attempt to revive this by Richard Fielding was short lived. Another brief enterprise was block printing by Fielding, Bentley & Stout of Bridgewater Printworks. This only used one building and had failed by 1848. Between 1851 to 1854 William Garner inserted 44 looms and preparation machinery for power loom weaving. After this the buildings were used for bobbin turning and chair making. Several firms occupied the site including Richard Hanson, J & J Cottam and W & J Southworth.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.