You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ST ANNES PALACE BUILDING

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  ST ANNES PUBLIC HALL AND ASSEMBLY ROOMS
DESCRIPTION + /

A much-altered former Public Hall and Assembly Rooms of two and three storeys with Queen Anne features and elevations on St George's Road, Garden Street and St George's Lane, that opened in 1900 and was built to a design by John Dent Harker. It is rectangular in plan and is constructed of brick with orange moulded terracotta embellishments beneath flat and pitched slate roofs. By 1910 the building had become a cinema and alterations to the interior layout took place in 1925 after it was bought by the Blackpool Tower Company and became the Palace Cinema and Restaurant, complete with ballroom, restaurant, café, assembly room, Masonic room, billiard room and shops on the ground floor fronting Garden Street. At an unspecified date in the inter-war years part of the building fronting St George's Road was converted into a car showroom. Part of the building continued as a cinema until 1957 when it was sold to Lytham St Anne's freemasons. A mezzanine floor was added in the former cinema to create rooms on a new upper floor for the freemasons. Elsewhere a freemason's boardroom was built on part of the flat roof, a Steward's flat was created out of what are thought to have been former dressing rooms, the former ballroom was converted into a Masonic Lodge Room, the former billiard room in the basement had its ceiling lowered and all fixtures and fittings removed, the former car showroom was converted into a furniture retailers, the main staircase was moved to allow insertion of a lift shaft, and a large part of the ground floor was lowered and a covered market hall created. Externally a glass and iron canopy was added in the 1980s.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.