You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



A printing works consisting of a series of north lit sheds with offices on two floors to the front, set behind a thin decorative stone ashlar façade of 32 bays along the Lower Bristol Road to the north. The building is mostly built in red brick with stone in some parts. Its north-lit roof with steel beams rests on steel columns (mostly from the post-nationalisation of the steel industry) which are placed in a grid, and is covered in slate, tiles, and asbestos sheeting in parts. It has a tall, central chimney close to the front of the building, which has decorative stone cladding matching that of the front façade. The building incorporates fragments of the former printing works built by Sir Isaac Pitman (1813-1897) in 1889, deviser of a system of shorthand writing who by 1874 had established himself as an editor, printer and publisher on an industrial scale. Extended in 1901, and in 1913 the Institute was altered again to a design by C Bryan Oliver, a local architect . It was extended at its north-west corner, with a four bay wide façade in stripped classical style along the Lower Bristol Road. Between 1919 and 1926, to designs by the Bristol based architects' firm Oatley and Lawrence, the printing works were indeed further extended. The works included a Clerk's & General Office with a barrel vaulted glazed roof, known amongst workers as 'The Ballroom'. The building works also involved the demolition of the front part of the late 19th century Phonetic Institute (probably seven bays wide) of which eight of its rear north lit sheds were incorporated within the new 32 bay wide building, and a new entrance façade along the Lower Bristol Road was added. In the later 20th century two large warehouses were built to the west of the Bath Press building for the delivery and storage of paper, covering the site of a former terrace of 19th century houses.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.