You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ST SAVIOURS UNION INFIRMARY

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  DULWICH HOSPITAL, DULWICH HOSPITAL SOUTH WING, SOUTHWARK BOARD OF GUARDIANS HOSPITAL, SOUTHWARK MILITARY HOSPITAL
DESCRIPTION + /

St Saviour's Union Infirmary was built between 1885 and 1887 to ease pressure from overcrowding at the St Saviour's Union Workhouse. The architect was Henry Jarvis and the builders were Kirk and Randall. It consisted of a central administration and resident staff section, flanked on either side by two three storey, turreted blocks of Nightingale wards, connected by a three-storey corridor. There was a large chapel over the main entrance. The buildings were built of red brick with dressings of Ancaster stone in a neo-Flemish style. The original freeholder stipulated that the infirmary should be designed 'with a view to producing a pleasing effect'. They were therefore designed with a high degree of architectural character unusual for this form of institution. Attractive details included the slim, spiky gables above the tall chapel windows, the elaborate strapwork in the Dutch gables of the flanking staff houses, and the ogee domed caps to the sanitary towers of the ward blocks.

During the First World War, the infirmary became Southwark Military Hospital. By 1926, the site was known as Southwark Board of Guardians' Hospital. In 1930, it was transferred to the London County Council and several additions were built including a new operating theatre, pharmacy, boiler house and chimney. In 1948, it was transferred to the National Health Service and there were several more alterations and additions. By 1992, the site was known as Dulwich Hospital South Wing, to differentiate it from the old workhouse site on the other side of the railway line (now demolished). It was still extant in 2007 and is now known as Dulwich Hospital.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.