You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



A military airfield, used in World War Two and briefly post-war. RAF Honeybourne was opened in 1941 and closed in 1948. During World War Two it was occupied by 24 Operational Training Unit (OTU). At the end of the war the airfield was used as a collection point for aeroplanes and gliders which were then dismantled and taken away by train via Weston Subedge station which was on the south east edge of the site. Large numbers of aircraft waiting to be dismantled as well as a number in the process of being dismantled are visible on the photographs. The airfield consisted of three concrete runways within a perimeter track. The control tower and hangars are to the south east side and dispersal sites for the aircraft were arranged to the west and north. To the south west of the airfield was the bomb dump, an area measuring approximately 500 by 300 metres. It was connected to the airfield by a purpose built road. The airfield could be defended from ground attack from five Oakington Pillboxes situated within the airfield perimeter. Aerial photographs taken in 1988 show that by then much of the runway had been removed and the area reverted to farmland. Some buildings including the hangars and control tower remain. In an attempt to minimise the damage that could be caused by enemy bombing the living quarters and Instructional sites were laid out to the south east of the main airfield. These along with the airfield's High Frequency Direction Finding Station (HF/DF) and Wireless Transmitting Station (WT) are described separately. Wartime construction methods typically involved the use of "temporary" building materials for many types of buildings.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.