You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

SUNSHINE HOUSE

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  GOODWAY HOUSE, SUNSHINE HOME FOR BLIND BABIES, THE SUNSHINE HOME, MILVERTON LAWN
DESCRIPTION + /

The Sunshine Home, which was formerly known as Milverton Lawn, was built in 1860-1870 in Warwick New Road in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. The building was designed by the architect G.T Robinson at the request of H. Lloyd who was the company secretary of the Warwick and Leamington Bank. The building is made up of limestone ashlar with a Welsh slate hipped roof and is Late Classical in style featuring Egyptian decorative motifs. The building consists of two storeys and is of a double-depth plan and features a ballroom range to the left and a coach-house and stable to the right.

After Lloyd’s death in 1883 the building had become run down but was bought and lived in by many different owners before it was turned into a boy’s preparatory school in 1921 by Gilbert Farnfield. The school soon began to outgrown its purpose and relocated leaving the building left uncared for. The house was then bought at auction by the Sunshine Homes Charity.

In 1926 the building opened as the Sunshine Home for Blind Babies. The charity was established in order to care for blind babies and young children up to the age of 9 years of age. Before this, blind babies and young children were considered to have learning difficulties and little effort was usually made to integrate them into society and provide them with the lifestyles afforded by other children. The building underwent a few adaptations to accommodate the home’s needs. Partition walls and a false ceiling were installed in the ballroom to provide dormitories and outbuildings provided a swimming pool and classrooms.

The Sunshine Home was closed in 1986 and the site was redeveloped in the 1990s to become apartments and mews cottages. The site has since been renamed Goodway House.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.