You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ROTHLEY

DESCRIPTION + /

Hotel, formerly mansion, and attached chapel. The earliest parts were associated with the Templars Preceptory, (see SK51SE6). Apart from the chapel, it is 17th-18th century (stack dated 1742) and 1895. Garden front and wing by John Ely, Manchester, 1894/5. Granite rubble stone, with small part red brick, with stone dressings, stone and brick and stone cornice and parapet in part, and Swithland slate roof with brick ridge and side stacks. Hotel entrance front has a projecting gable either end, that to right with stone buttresses. 2 storeys of 11 6/6 sash windows. Five 2-light dormers, the central with rounded gable. 2-light casement in left gable attic. Probably C19 central stone porch in Renaissance style with rounded arch, pilasters, entablature and battlements. Part-glazed door inside. Garden front to left has projecting stack dated 1742, and the 1894/5 wing mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, and with a two storey canted bay to left and loggia with two bay arcade to right. Rear has picturesque gables with sashes and attic casements. Inside are C18 oak staircase and C17 and C18 panelling, some with bolection moulding. Doorways with stone pointed arches in rooms next to Chapel. The Chapel, to right of entrance front, restored 1896, has E window facing. Single nave with two storey S corridor linking house. Stepped buttresses and angle buttresses. Tall lancets with cusped heads, hood moulds and label stops. One to W and three either side to N and S. Large 3-light C15 E window, with shaft either side to half way up. Inside, the lancets have a roll-moulding round frame and E window a moulded arch and shafts to sides.

DETAIL + / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.