You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

ALBION BREWERY

DESCRIPTION + /

The brewery was built in 1808 by Richard Ivory who leased it to John Hoffman. In 1818 the brewery sold to Philip Betts Blake and James Mann of Blake and Mann. In 1826 Blake sold his share of the partnership to James Mann and in 1843 Mann was joined by his two eldest sons, James and Edward, forming the partnership of James Mann and Sons. Thomas Mann, Robert Crossman and Thomas Paulin created the partnership of Mann, Crossman and Paulin in 1846.

The brewery was rebuilt in 1860 and by 1880 the brewery became the nineth largest in the country. Further additions and alterations were also made in 1903-5. The early 20th century saw a period of rapid expansion with the brewery acquiring a number of breweries and their associated licenced houses. However, in 1958 the brewery merged with Watney, Combe and Reid and Company Limited forming Watney Mann Ltd.

The brewery closed in 1979. During the 1990s part of the brewery buildings were coverted into apartments and the rest of the site redeveloped for a supermarket. The surviving buildings date from the 1860 rebuilding of the brewery and include the fermenting house which was remodelled circa 1902-5 in what has been described as a 'show-off Baroque style'. It has a pedimented gable set between carved volutes, clock and a carved relief of St George and the Dragon. The architects were William Bradford and Sons. It is also thought they designed the Brewer Engineer's house at 27a Mile End Road (Monument HOB UID 1545789)

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.