You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

BERMONDSEY ABBEY

DESCRIPTION + /

The Priory of St Saviour was founded by Alvin Child of London in 1082. It was, and remained, a large priory. It was a dependency of La Charite until 1381, when it became a denizen priory. In the 1380s, the cloister and refectory were rebuilt and the nave and presbytery reroofed in 1387. It was created an Abbey on the Pope's orders in 1399. It was dissolved in 1538, and demolished soon after 1541, the materials being reused to build Bermonsey House on the site. It stood between Grange walk and Long Walk. (See TQ37NW26 for location of abbey buildings known to have been associated with the Abbey). From documentary evidence it is known that the Abbey buildings occupied the North-East part of the precinct and thers was a great gatehouse in the precinct wall on the West side. The claustral buildings were arranged to the South of the conventual church. The church was cruciform with an aisled nave, each transept having aisled chapels to the east, and an apsidal presbytery with four apsidal chapels adjoining. Excavations in 1962 and in the 1980s have proved the North wall of the presbytery an North transept, and the South wall and aisle of the church. The East range of the claustral buildings have been excavated, revealing the chapter house, infirmary, infirmary chapel, frater, reredorter and its undercroft, the dorter, and the great drain. Sections of the precinct wall have also been revealed. The excavations show that many of the buildings were extant in the late 11th-early 12th centuries with late 12th-early 13th centuries reconstruction. Dependencies: Aldermanshaw, and St James Priory, Derby.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.