You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  



The earthworks and buried remains of a lead mine, located on a limestone knoll on the valley side to the east of Crag Beck. The date when lead mining first began at Ashnott is unknown. Documentary sources indicate that mining was taking place in the general area (the Honour of Clitheroe) around 1300, but the first specific reference lead mining at Ashnott is contained in a lease dated 1538. Lead mining at Ashnott is thought to have ceased shortly after a major depression of lead prices in the 1830s. The surface remains of the lead mine include a group of adits, numerous small rock cut shafts and surrounding spoil heaps, and a variety of opencuts including one large quarried hollow. The main entrance consists of a level on the western side of the limestone knoll 120 metres south east of Ashnott Farm. Underground the mine workings are on four major horizons; the method of working the two upper levels of the mine was by sinking shafts from the surface, whilst in the two lower levels ore appears to have been passed downwards via underground shafts from the upper to the lower level and then removed along a tramway. Thus the surface workings of opencuts and bellpits together with the two upper levels of the mine reached via surface shafts are considered to represent the earlier periods of mining, while the two lower levels, with their more sophisticated system of haulage, are consistent with 18th and 19th century mining operations. Situated 90 metres south of Ashnott, built into the hillslope, is a 18-19th century lime kiln. It is constructed of roughly hewn limestone blocks and has a south facing draw hole. Scheduled.

DETAIL + / -
+ / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.