You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

LINSTOCK CASTLE

DESCRIPTION + /

Farmhouse, formerly a tower house. Built in the 12th or early 13th century as palace for the Bishops of Carlisle, with 17th-20th century additions and alterations. Tower has large blocks of red sandstone, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, for walls 2 metres thick; slate gabled roof. 3 storeys, one bay, tower. Entrance to ground floor, has chamfered rounded arch with continuous hood-mould hidden by ivy: above left is original first-floor entrance with rounded arch, now filled. Windows inserted in 1768 with plain freestone surrounds, sashes with glazing bars, 19th century plank door. East face has 2 round-headed lancets and one flat-headed chamfered lancet, now all filled. Ground floor chamfered lancet to west face. 20th century steel casement in north face. Interior has pointed arch vaulting to ground floor without stairs: first-floor room connected to 2 second-floor rooms by stair in thickness of the wall. Walls originally higher and flat roof, reduced and gabled 1768. Extension at right angles of 2 storeys, 2 bays has sandstone rubble walls partly covered by render, is probably early 17th century incorporating parts of an earlier out building. Two 17th century chamfered mullion windows with mixed 19th and 20th century sashes, with with single glazing bars and steel casements. Further one bay early 19th century extension of brick under same roof with 20th century kitchen extension of single storey, 2 bays to side. Close to the castle are the remains of the encircling moat. Used as Bishops Palace c1219-early 14th century, then as prison and refuge for villagers in border raids. For 6 days in March 1307, Edward I, his Queen and Court were entertained here, whilst Parliament was held in Carlisle. Earthwork remains of a medieval moat around the castle.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.