You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

HMP NORTH SEA CAMP

DESCRIPTION + /

A mid 20th century borstal and later juvenile prison, used as a World War II military camp. Major William W Llewellin led a group of about twenty young offenders from Stafford prison on a march to the Lincolnshire coast south-east of Boston on 23rd May 1935. They arrived at the mouth of the river Witham, south of Freiston, on 31st May. The boys lived in tents while they built new hutted accommodation for the borstal. The inmates also commenced the reclamation of the Freiston and Butterwick outmarshes. The site was a military camp during World War II and pill boxes and gun emplacements survive. North Sea Camp remained a borstal until 1964 when it became an open detention centre for senior boys. In September 1987 the detention centre closed and the prison reopened in July 1988 as an open prison for adult males. By 1985 over 28 miles of dykes had been constructed and over 1000 acres of saltmarsh had been reclaimed for farmland. It is used both as pasture for 3000 sheep and 2000 pigs, and as arable land for vegetables and some grain. The original buildings were constructed of corrugated concrete and asbestos sheets. The gymnasium is a brick building of the mid 20th century. A chapel was built in 1954, constructed of concrete piers and brick panels with concrete trusses bolted to the piers. The main buildings of the prison are situated to the west side of the Roman Bank, the existing sea bank. East of the bank are farms and gardens, including green houses, a piggery barns and stores.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.