You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

EWOOD PARK

DESCRIPTION + /

Ewood Park has been the home of Blackburn Rovers since 1890. However, the Ewood Park of today is unrecognisable from the ground of that era. In 1890 the main stand backed onto the River Darwen, with two separate smaller stands on the Nuttall Street side. Apart from the terraced houses on Nuttall Street and Kidder Street (behind the North End), the approaches from Bolton Road and the south were completely open. In 1905, the textile baron Laurence Cotton became chairman and set about overhauling both team and ground. In 1906, construction started on a new main stand seating 4,112 on its upper tier with a paddock for 9,320 infront. Cranked at one end to follow the angle of Nuttall Street, it was a standard design from the pattern book of Archibald Leitch. The stand opened on New Years Day, 1907. The following summer the Darwen End was concreted. Two league championships in 1912 and 1914, along with three good cup runs, helped to finance a third stand on the River Darwen side. Constructed to another of Leitch's standard designs it was completed in 1913 with 2,944 seats and a large new terrace infront. Apart from the concreting of the Blackburn End in 1928, few changes occured to Ewood Park until a new cantilevered concrete roof was put over this terrace in 1960. In the subsequent years, coupled with a decline in the teams fortunes, Ewood Park fell into decline which was capped off with an arson attack on the Nuttall Street stand in 1984. In 1988, fortunes took a turn for the better with the development of the Walkersteel Stand on the River Darwen side. In 1991 Jack Walker bought 62% of the club and, as Laurence Cotton before him, set about overhauling the ailing club. In December 1991 plans were unveiled for a new all-seater stadium by the architects Atherden and Fuller. Between October 1992 and November 1994 Ewood Park was substantially redeveloped with three new two-tier stands built at the Blackburn and Darwen Ends and at the Nuttall Street side.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.