A church is documented here in 1083, but it is uncertain whether one or 2 churches served the parish at that time. Between 1293 and 1323 a chantry chapel supplied with 7 monks from Meaux Abbey was installed at Ottringham church, and it may have been here.
12th century sections to nave and chancel, 13th century arcades; early 14th century tower, spire, south aisle, south porch and rebuilding to chancel; 15th century north aisle, clerestory, south chapel. 17th-18th century repairs to south chapel, spire repaired 1810; chancel re-roofed 1824, remainder of church in 1843; general restorations of circa 1860, 1901-2, 1927. Random cobbles to south aisle, porch sides, parts of south chapel, early section of nave east wall; limestone ashlar to tower, spire, north aisle, nave clerestory and east wall, chancel east wall; roughly-coursed hammer-dressed limestone to south chapel; red brick to west wall of south chapel (in English bond), upper section of porch, and chancel buttresses. Cement rendering to north and south sides of chancel. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Welsh slate roof to chancel; pantile roof to south porch, lead roofs to remainder. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and south transeptal chapel, 4-bay chancel.