A small country house built in 1925-6 by Oswald Milne for Rupert D' Oyly Carte the opera impresario. it was constructed in a cottage style influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement.
It was two storeys, asymmetrical Y-shaped on plan and built of local slate rubble with a Delabole slate roof. A long paved terrace along the south front has a curved niche over a pond on the lower terrace. The house is situated in landscaped gardens planted by Lady Dorothy d'Oyly Carte (see record 762576) in a wooded combe leading down to the sea. There are a group of structures on the beach associated with the property (please see record 1443164).
The house was intended as a weekend and holiday home, for the D' Oyly family and their friends, although Lady Dorothy lived at Coleton permanently during the second half of the 1920s and the 1930s.