You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

MOAT PLANTING

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  Warrenhall, Warandashales
DESCRIPTION + /

A moated site. No longer extant having been filled in during the later 20th century, but is still visible on aerial photographs. The site has been identified as 'warandashales' which was held by Richard de Pyvelsdon (Puleston?) in 1295 when it received a License to Crenellate. Richard may have been part of the Puleston family (the senior branch of which were based at Emral, Flintshire) who held several prominent positions in Shropshire and Wales during the 13th and 14th centuries, and whose name is commemorated in the Puleston Cross in Newport (Telford and Wrekin). The family held this land until the early 15th century when it was surrendered following their support of the Glydwr rebellion. At no point after 1295 is any reference made to the site being fortified, and it may be that this licensed fortification was never undertaken. The site of 'Warandashale' had previously been suggested as Wardale to the south-west of Market Drayton or the area known as Castle Hill which is located 1300 metres to the east of this site.

The site was later known as Warrenhall, and a number of post-medieval documents record the name as Warrenhall and Rhiews, the latter of which still survives at the neighbouring farm to the west. This timber-framed farmhouse dates to the 17th century and may mark the abandonment of the earlier settlment at the nearby moat. There are no known remains of any structure or fortified building at the moated site. This moated site is one of a dense concentration extending westwards in Adderley, Moreton Say and Ightfield.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.