The Church of St Chad's was rebuilt in its present location in 1790 after the original church had collapsed in 1788. Designed by George Steuart the church was consecrated in 1792. The church has an association with Charles Darwin who was baptised there in 1809 and attended the church as a boy.
The origins of a church dedicated to St Chad dates back to at least the 8th century. The new Church of St Chad's was rebuilt on the line of the old town walls and has a distinctive circular nave. It is made of ashlar and its architectural design is a mixture of Ionic, Doric and Corinthian styles.