You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

AXHOLME PRIORY

DESCRIPTION + /

The earthworks of a charterhouse (Carthusian priory) which was founded in 1395-96 for a prior and eight monks by Thomas Mowbray, Earl of Nottingham, at the site of a small 12th century Premonstratensian chapel. Of the ten Carthusian foundations in England, Axholme was the seventh to be established with building work on the charterhouse starting in 1397. It was finally incorporated into the Carthusian Order in 1432, and in 1447 new building work was started, completed shortly after 1449. Axholme Priory was dissolved in 1539 and the estate was granted to John Candysshe who converted the priory into a manor surrounded by gardens and orchards. The core of the site is a roughly square moated island 148 metres across, surrounded on at least three sides by a 10 metre wide moat ditch. The moated island formed the inner court of the charterhouse and contains well preserved earthworks of the priory's cloister. Further buried remains of the priory are thought to include the church, chapterhouse and frater. To the north west, north and east of the moated island there are further earthworks and buried remains of the outer court of the charterhouse. Geophysical survey has identified a number of features to the north west of the island, including the gatehouse with a trackway. To the south of the trackway there is a level platform, whose location suggests that it was a timber building housing guest quarters. In the field to the east of the moat there are a number of earthworks including terraced areas, ditches and pits. These are considered to relate such things as workshops, stores, bake houses and kitchens, all of which would have been located close to, but outside of the inner court of the priory.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.