You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

MOUNT GRACE PRIORY

DESCRIPTION + /

A Carthusian monastery, which was founded in 1398 by Thomas de Holland, Earl of Kent and Duke of Surrey, nephew of Richard II. It was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and St Nicholas. Much of the building is 15th century, with three distinct sub-phases of 15th century building work from about 1400 to 1410; about 1420-1430 and about 1470-1480. The last major building work carried out before the dissolution dates to1520. because of the Reformation, the priory was dissolved in 1539. Excavations over the last century coupled with the surviving buildings have produced the most complete plan of a Carthusian house known in England. To the west of the standing buildings are a group of multiphase earthworks. They variously represent ponds and water channels probably of monastic origin and the remains of gardens associated with later houses. Part of the priory survives as a ruin up to 2 storeys high. The ruined church stands at the centre of the complex, which comprises an outer court to the south west of the church, and the Great Cloister with its range of monks cells and their gardens in a quadrilateral enclosure to the north. Immediatley to the east and south of the church is the lesser court where lay brothers and servants were quartered. The outer court, accessed by a gatehouse from the inner court, contains the foundations of the stables, granary and frater, and the extant guest house which was modified as a private residence after the Dissolution (please see record 55685). The site is in the care of English Heritage. The monastery and associated fishponds are visible as earthworks and structures on air photographs, and have been mapped as part of the North York Moors National Mapping Programme Project.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.