A defensive earthwork thought to be an Iron Age hillfort also includes a Roman villa dating from c120AD to late 3rd century. Excavations in 1866 revealed a detached building with two heated rooms and mosaics. Further foundations were revealed during road widening in 1929.
These features are visible as earthworks and cropmarks on air photographs. The fort comprises a broad ditch with a narrower bank either side on three sides and is sub-rectangular in plan. Within the fort are the parchmarks of the Roman villa. several rectilinear rooms or buildings are visible along with other fragmentary linear features. Three circular features are also visible, one of which is complete.