You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

PRITTLEWELL PRIORY

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  PRIORY MUSEUM
DESCRIPTION + /

The remains of the Cluniac Priory of St Mary which was founded as a dependent house of the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras at Lewes in 1121. It became denizen between 1351-74. The priory was supressed during the Dissolution in 1536 and sold to Thomas Audley. By the time the estate was resold to Richard, Lord Rich, ten years later, the majority of buildings were probably already demolished and the prior's lodging and refectory converted into a farmhouse. The estate passed to the Earl of Nottingham in 1678. It was later acquired by the Scratton family and, in the 19th century, sold off by Daniel Scratton who retained only the house and its immediate grounds. In 1917 these were purchased by Robert Jones who converted the house and landscaped the grounds, presenting both to the borough in 1920. The priory church and the majority of the conventual buildings survive only as foundations and buried remains, although portions of the south and west arms of the claustral range still stand, retained within a post-Dissolution country house which now serves as the Priory Museum. The surviving stone church replaced a small wooden oratory around 1150. The priory range was enlarged from 1180 onwards with the refectory, chapter house and dorter arranged around the cloister garth. The Priory Museum (Listed Grade I) retains substantial elements of the priory range - principally the 12th century refectory and 14th century prior's chambers which, respectively, formed parts of the southern and western arms of the claustral range. It is said that excavations below the church revealed an Iron Age occupation site along with clear evidence of a Saxon defended settlement (see Saxon burial ground TQ 88 NE 14). Scheduled.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.