Benedictine nunnery founded as an alien priory circa 1148 became independent after 1227 and was dissolved 1521-2. Fragments of rubble walling and precinct wall remain. Excavation have revealed the layout of the buildings. The church consisted of nave and quire with North and South transepts. The claustral range was arranged to the South with the chapter house and warming room in the East range, the frater in the South range, (part of which survived built into cottages demolished in 1964), and the West range. The reredorter was a separate building at the South-East corner of the cloisters.
The earthwork traces of part of a large embanked rectilinear enclosure, possibly the marking the precinct wall and further less clear earthworks (to the north) were seen at the location of the priory. These earthworks were mapped from aerial photographs and Envionment Agency lidar imagery as part of the English Heritage: Hoo Peninsula Landscape Project.