You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print   | More

BOXLEY ABBEY

DESCRIPTION + /

Remains of Cistercian Abbey founded 1146 dissolved 1538. The church is represented by a few extant remains but the plan is known by probing. It appears to be contemporary with the Abbey's foundation. There are no extant traces of the eastern range other than the drain of the reredorter. Part of the western range, the Abbey kitchen, may be incorporated in the present dwelling house, (TQ 75 NE 92). This house contains part of the southern range but the range may have been to the north of the house. There is a large 15th to 16th century barn (TQ 75 NE 93) within the precinct and traces of fishponds. Excavation by P.J. Tester for Kent Archaeological Society has shown that the plan of the Cistercian abbey drawn by F.C. Elliston-Erwood is substantially correct. The church was of the same form and dimensions although the transepts were longer North-South and each contained three Eastern chapels instead of two. Walls discovered by B.J. Wilson in 1959 and 1966 are now interpreted as part of the night stair in the South-West corner of the South transept. In the nave the width of the North aisle has been established by the discovery of the sleeper-wall of the North arcade. At the West end the foundations of a tower or porch with diagonal buttresses have been revealed. All four alleys of the cloister have been located, and the South range lay on the site indicated by Elliston-Erwood as the alternative site for the refectory. At the East end of this range, a room, probably the warming-house, was found.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.