You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

FLIXTON PRIORY

DESCRIPTION + /

Flixton priory was founded in 1258 by Margery de Creke and was of the Augustinian order dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St Catherine. The nunnery was among the small houses listed for supression in 1528 but was not, in fact, dissolved until 1536. It was granted in 1537 to Richard Warton and in 1544 passed to John Tasburgh. Members of the Tasburgh family are believed to have lived here for a time in the later 16th century before removing to Flixton Hall. The moated site is sub-rectangular in plan and has maximum overall dimensions of 180 metres NNW-SSE by 136 metres. The moat, which contains some open water, bounds the north, east and south sides of the central enclosure and defined the northern and southern ends of the west side, leaving a gap 72 metres wide between. The remains of the conventual buildings are situated to the west of centre within the enclosure. Abbey Farmhouse, which is Listed Grade II and dates to the 16th and 17th centuries, is thought to incorporated part of the monastic church. The conventual buildings adjoining the church were ranged round a cloister, the outline of which can still be traced to the south of the farmhouse. It is defined on the western side by a low bank 7.5 metres wide and is believed to cover the masonry footings of the western claustral range. The line of the outer wall of the south range is also clearly visible. A central section of this wall, 8.7 metres in length, still stands to roof height. On the south side of the enclosure is a rectilinear fish pond with a second smaller pond adjoining it on the north east side. Other slight earthworks that extend beyond the two ends of the moat on the western side of the enclosure include the remains of former garden plots. Scheduled.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.