You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

THETFORD PRIORY

DESCRIPTION + /

Thetford Priory was a cell of Bury St Edmunds and established by Abbot Uvius in St George's Church on the Suffolk side of Thetford in the reign of Cnut. All but two monks had died by 1160, they declared that they wished to be removed to Bury St Edmunds.
It was subsequently refounded as a Benedictine nunnery by Abbot Hugh for nuns who had been living at Ling. The Priory was dissolved in 1537. The remains of the nunnery still survive as standing fabric. The conventual church has been converted to other use. Inside , the only apparent original fabric is the grand arch towards the South transept, and two blocked arches one each side of the nave, although another leading to a blocked staircase has been uncovered in the South-East corner of the transept during the conversion work. Beyond the transept and in line with its East wall, a blank arch is visible incorporated into the end wall of the garage, which Pevsner states probably connected with the East range of the cloister. Further South is the large roofless oblong building oriented North-South, postulated as being the refectory. The church was apparently first converted into use as a domestic dwelling after the Dissolution, for an Elizabethan moulded door frame/window and two further windows now blocked, are visible externally on the South wall of the nave and West wall of the transept. Presumably the decline of this house into use as farm buildings coincided with the construction of the present Nunnery Place House in the 18th century.

DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the Historic England website.