You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

PETERHOUSE

ALTERNATIVE NAME:  PETERHOUSE COLLEGE, THE SCHOLARS OF THE BISHOPS OF ELY SAINT PETERS COLLEGE
DESCRIPTION + /

Peterhouse is the oldest of the sixteen old colleges at Cambridge University founded between 1284 and 1596. It was originally founded in 1280 by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely at the Hospital of St John and moved to its present site in 1284. It was first known as The Scholars of the Bishop of Ely Saint Peter's College, later Peterhouse College, and now Peterhouse.

The college comprises three main courts, the oldest being Old Court, which includes the Old Hall, and dates from 1290, with additions of 1490, 1590 and 1633. Alterations date to the mid 15th century and partially refaced in 1755 and 1870. George Gilbert Scott restored the building in 1879 Parts of the interior were refitted in 1868-70 by William Morris.

First Court includes the Chapel built by George Thompson in 1628-32 and refaced in 1665. It also contains Burrough's Buillding built by James Burrough in 1738-42. Gisborne Court was built in 1825-26 and named after Francis Gisborne, a former fellow. It is a Gothic revival style building designed by William McIntosh Brookes. The fourth side of the court comprised a screen wall, which was demolished in 1939, and is being replaced by the Whittle Building, due to be completed in 2014, and named after Frank Whittle, college member and inventor of the jet engine.

Modern additions include Fen Court built 1939-41 and Birdwood Building built in 1932-34. Both were designed by Hugh Castrees Hughes and Peter Bicknell. Fen Court is the only example of a pre-war International Modern style building at the University. Birdwood Building was demolished to make way for the Whittle Building.

Ward Library was originally the University Museum of Classical Archaeology, designed by Basil Champneys in 1883, and converted into the college library by Robert Potter in 1982-84.

Originally Peterhouse only admitted male students. Females were admitted in 1985 making it the second-to-last Cambridge college to become co-educational.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.