A Roman C2nd-C4th AD winged corridor villa, first reported in 1824, was also partially excavated in the 1960's and in 2005. The north and east wings of the villa have shown as cropmarks on aerial photographs. The site is also known from an extensive surface scatter of roman material, including tessarae and tiles. Roman material has also been found on the surface circa 150m to the north west (see SP 33 SE 17, 335126).
The villa was partially excavated by Skelton and the Reverend C Winstanley in 1824. Two rooms were uncovered, one with a "triangular apse" and hypocaust heating. The latter had a "good geometric pavement of treble plait and a floral arrangement" . A series of excavations were also carried out in the 1960's and a plan of part of the north range of buildings, which contained a remarkable range of good quality mosaics, has been published. Part of the northwestern corner and the west wing of the villa were also excavated in 2005.
Cropmarks show that the villa probably extended to the south of the excavated parts of the site and there is at least one clear building (or a different phase of development of the site). There are multiple ditched boundaries and possible enclosures which may have once surrounded all or part of the main villa buildings. A pair of cropmark enclosures (see 1437505 and 1566597) are situated further to the south, a further enclosure (1569744) is located to the east of the villa. There is the possibility that these may be a precursors to the villa. Ridge and furrow (see 1437507) in the field to the east of the main villa buildings has probably masked this part of the site on aerial photographs since the 1940's, and pasture in more recent years has also limited the possibility of the formation of cropmarks of the underlying villa.
This site has been mapped from aerial photographs as part of the South East Warwickshire and Cotswolds HLS Target Areas National Mapping Programme.