The buried remains of a prehistoric settlement and Roman Villa.
The earlier settlement dates to the late Iron Age and consists of enclosures, ditches and trackways which are visible as cropmarks. The villa is situated on the northern side of the earlier settlement. Both settlements lie on a slight south facing slope immediately below the crest of a chalk ridge which overlooks the valley of the River Itchen.
The prehistoric settlement includes a large sub-rectangular ditched enclosure (c. 60m by 30m) with an entrance on its north east side. Attached to the north side of this enclosure is a semicircular ditched annexe. Other associated features include a series of smaller enclosures, linking trackways, boundaries and part of a field system. Pottery recovered from the field surface in this area suggests a date in the late Iron Age.
The villa was investigated in 1878 and 1879 when an area of approximately 18m by 15m was uncovered. Five rooms were uncovered, four of which were laid out around a possible courtyard (not excavated). The four rooms around the courtyard contained mosaics; three of which had decorative panels.
The wall plaster in the rooms survived to a maximum height of 30 cm and the remains of a hypocaust system for underfloor heating were also discovered.