You are here: Home : Search : Search Results : Detailed Result
  |   Print  

AVEBURY HENGE

DESCRIPTION + /

A large Neolithic henge enclosure at Avebury, comprising a roughly circular ditch enclosing an area circa 350 metres by 380 metres, with an external bank originally up to 6 metres in height. There are four entrances, at least three of which are of prehistoric origin. Three main settings of standing sarsens exist within the henge, a circle which follows the inner edge of the ditch plus two smaller circles, one in the north, the other in the south. Each features a central sarsen arrangement. Other internal features have been identified through geophysical survey, aerial photography and excavation. The most extensive excavations were undertaken intermittently between 1908 and 1922 by Gray, and during the 1930s by Alexander Keiller, who was also responsible for "cleaning" the site (megalithic landscape gardening, as it has been described), mainly by removing trees, buildings and other unsightly modern intrusions. Recently obtained radiocarbon dates suggest that the construction of the main earthwork and stone circle probably occurred somewhere in the period 2900 to 2600 BC. It appears to have fallen out of use in circa 1800 BC. The henge is connected via an avenue of standing stones to the sarsen-built monument known as The Sanctuary. Other stone avenues and features have also been postulated, largely on the basis of antiquarian observation and suggestion. Other features of note include a possible circular post-setting identified by geophysical survey, and a cropmark of a double-ditched curvilinear enclosure, as well as traces of medieval and later settlement within the henge in the form of cropmarks and earthworks. It is in the care of English Heritage.

PICTURES + / -
DETAIL + / -
MORE INFORMATION & SOURCES
+ / -
RELATED MONUMENTS + / -
MONUMENT TYPES + / -
COMMENTS + / -
Please help us keep our information accurate let us know if you see any errors on this page.

Further information about monuments may be obtained by contacting Archive Services, through the English Heritage website.